Hydroponics is a technique of gardening without soil. We can do it in any climate, and it's a great way to grow plants indoors.
There are many hydroponic growing mediums to choose from, and each has its own set of pros and cons.
One option is oasis cube. Oasis cubes are made from compressed foam. They're an alternative hydroponic medium for those who want to try something different from traditional hydroponics or other materials like rock wool or perlite.
Let's read the pros and cons of using oasis cubes in hydroponics!
- It is easy to use, requires less maintenance than other growing mediums, and is easier to irrigate.
- You can adjust the height settings on the cubes to accommodate different plants, making it a versatile growing medium.
- You can use it for various plants, such as vegetables, herbs, and flowers. However, some plants are not suitable for oasis cubes.
- One way to propagate plants is by using oasis cubes. [*What is Plant propagation? It is the process of creating new plants from various sources, including seeds, cuttings, and divisions. It is an essential part of plant cultivation and can be used to increase the number of plants you have or to create new cultivars.]*
- The oasis cube is hydrophilic, which means it can absorb a lot of water. It's Water retention of 30 – 40 times their weight.
- This hydroponic growing medium will hold the right amount of moisture and nutrients around the roots without being too wet or dry. It's also porous enough so that oxygen can get through while still providing support for your plants.
- The oasis cube is lightweight but strong at the same time. Because it's made out of compressed foam material that won't break apart easily if handled gently by hand or even machine washed (although this may be unnecessary since hydroponics systems should not need much maintenance). You'll have less clean-up when using oasis cubes compared with other hydroponic growing media such as gravel, clay pellets, or vermiculite.
- The pH of the oasis cube in hydroponics is good for plants as it provides a more natural environment and discourages the growth of harmful bacteria and fungus. However, you can adjust the pH level depending on your specific plant's needs by using an acid or alkaline amendment.
- The oasis cube does not need to be pre-soaked in water before planting. It's hydrophilic and will absorb a lot of water on its own.
- Oasis cubes are not the best growing medium for plants that need a lot of nutrients. The compressed foam material doesn't hold as many nutrients as other hydroponic growing media. If you're using oasis cubes, you'll likely need to supplement your plants' diet with additional liquid or solid fertilizers.
- Some gardeners have reported that oasis cubes can get compacted over time and lose their porosity, reducing the oxygen available to the roots. This characteristic may cause problems for your plants if it continues to occur.
- Oasis cubes also tend to be more expensive than some other hydroponic growing media options.
So, is oasis cube a good hydroponic growing medium to use?
The Oasis cube's pros outweigh the cons. If you're looking for a hydroponic growing medium that is easy to use and doesn't require much maintenance, oasis cubes are a great option!
The compressed foam material is hydrophilic and will absorb a lot of water on its own. It makes it perfect for those who want to try something different in hydroponics.
If you don't want your cube garden to grow too big, just be careful not to overfertilize. Just make sure your plants get enough nutrients by supplementing their diet as needed, and keep an eye on how compacted the cubes get over time.
Thank you for reading!